Blended learning is a formal education program in which a student learns at least in part through delivery of content and instruction via digital and online media with some element of student control over time, place, path, or pace.
Blended learning is the transformative educational innovation of our time and has the potential to significantly improve K-12 education throughout the country. At its core, blended learning is the effective use of education technology to transform the learning experience for students.
- District of Columbia Public Schools, Washington, D.C., has redesigned 17 schools to incorporate blended learning. It has recorded extensive and well-studied student gains in math and reading on district-wide assessments and the National Assessment of Educational Progress since implementing blended learning.
- Horry County Schools, Conway, SC, began its blended-learning initiative, called the Personalized Digital Learning program, in the fall of 2013. Since implementing the blended program, middle school student scores in math and reading have improved.
- Innovations Early College High School, Salt Lake City, UT, was created to address concerns about the number of students who were becoming disengaged and dropping out of their schools. For the 2013–14 school year, its graduation rate was substantially higher than the average graduation rate of the district, state, and nation.
- Mooresville Graded School District, Mooresville, NC, employs technology in ways that improve teaching and learning through increased student engagement, including the use of blended learning. For the 2013–14 school year, the district was rated number one in North Carolina for meeting the state’s targets for proficiency and other measures.
- Poudre School District Global Academy, Fort Collins, CO, opened in the fall of 2009 to provide a flexible school option for students in grades K–12. Based on student growth measures in several different grade levels and subject areas, the PSD Global Academy is ranked as the first or second best school in the district and is in the top 5% of all schools in the state.
- Randolph Central School District, Randolph, NY, created a blended-learning program at the elementary school that focused on differentiated instruction. Since implementing the blended program, math scores on state assessments have improved significantly across the board.
- Spokane Public Schools, Spokane WA, has developed and implemented blended learning in numerous programs across the district with a goal of increasing graduation rates and college and career readiness. The district has increased its graduation rate from 60% in 2007 to 83% in 2014.
- Spring City Elementary Hybrid Learning School, Spring City, PA, uses a three-station Station Rotation model of blended learning. It has seen improved test scores in math, reading, and science since implementing its blended-learning program.
- The Virtual Instruction to Accentuate Learning (VITAL) program of the Putnam County School System, Cookeville, TN, provides a wide range of blended-learning options to students across the district. It has improved the district’s graduation rate and allowed hundreds of students to gain college credits while in high school.